How to - Hot Pot

Hey Everyone!


I hope the holidays have been awesome! Make sure to spend your time with the people you adore! :)

It has been very cold lately and after a long day, all I want it is some comfort food. This past term at  university has been very busy and I always tried to incorporate some healthier alternatives into my routine. During finals, I was devoting all my time to studying but because of this, I required more energy than I usually do. I did not want to rely on frozen convenient meals nor skip any meal so I decided to get creative. I have always been a HUGE hot pot fan. One of my friend's back in first year introduced it to me and I have been addicted to hot pot since.
For me, hot pot is easy, quick and nutritious. I can get a lot of vegetables into my diet and it will taste delicious thanks to the flavored broth. As well, I am able to experiment more with my cooking which is always a good thing. Because of hot pot, I have found other alternatives to cook bok choi, nappa cabbage, taro, chili, mushrooms and tofu. My family has been loving this new addition to our routine and I plan to cook this more often.

Here is my "recipe" on how to make hot pot:
*hot pot is universal so add to it whatever you like and make it your own*

- water or broth (if using broth, try chicken or vegetable as they are light in flavor and will help speed up the cooking process compared to using water)
- ginger
- garlic
- dried chili
- soya sauce
- onion (preferably green onion but regular yellow onion is fine)
- udon noodles
- tofu  (tofu puffs, or try regular tofu (soft medium or firm) )
- bok choi
- nappa cabbage
- enoki mushrooms  (great if you do not like mushrooms texture as they are like noodles)
- taro


1. Get a big pot and fill it with water or broth
2. Add in garlic, ginger, onion, chili and soya sauce. Make sure to peel garlic and ginger and chop into slivers. Cut up the onion roughly to help speed up the process.
3. Bring the broth with the spices to a boil for 5 minutes
4. Lower heat to a high simmer and add in Taro and Enoki Mushrooms and let simmer for a bit ( 5  - 10 minutes)
5. Once the broth has reduced a bit and the taro is more tender, add in bok choi, nappa cabbage and let simmer
6. Add in udon noodles and tofu and let simmer to vegetables are tender and noodles are soft enough to eat.

* Times are rough estimates and depends on the how hard the boil/ simmer is. Broth should be reduced and have more flavor than it did at the beginning. Because of time, I would pre cook my meat. I personally am not comfortable adding in raw meat, especially if pressed for time. Feel free to do so but consult a better recipe*


See photos below:






Let me know how your hot pot goes and leave any questions or comments below! Feel free to tweet me on twitter or tag me on instagram  @blushingrosexo !

Previous food post:

http://blushingrosexo.blogspot.ca/2014/10/easy-and-quick-pasta-recipe-with.html

*Adjust to fit your own needs, tastes and health restrictions/concerns. I am not a health expert, Nutritionist nor a Dietician. I am just a student interested in living a healthier lifestyle. The purpose of this post is to showcase the healthier lifestyle choices I am now making.*



Hannah, xo

Comments

Popular Posts